Buying a property for the first time

8 Replies

I am looking at buying my first property, but before I pull the trigger I want to make sure that I check and ask all my questions. Is there any suggestions anyone has on what I should be asking? Ive got questions like who pays for utilities, if there is any water damage, if there's lead paint. Stuff like that. 

@John Christodoulakis , you're on the right track. Yes, you should use an Inspector, who'll give you the lowdown on condition (and hopefully, repair estimates). As well as that side of due diligence, I reckon your greatest asset will be: having the right Property Manager. If you can find the one, they could also help you with things like: "that neighborhood doesn't attract the right sort of tenants"; "sorry, I won't manage properties in that area"; "I reckon you could get a better rent return if you choose this other neighborhood" - and such like. Cheers...

@Brent Coombs I was planning on just managing the property on my own. I don't think it would be to hard and It's located near where I live. 

Originally posted by @John Christodoulakis :

@Brent Coombs I was planning on just managing the property on my own. I don't think it would be to hard and It's located near where I live. 

Care to share the numbers (sold comps; expected monthly rent; your thoughts on offer price)?

I haven't looked at any sold comps, the expected rent is 1450 per month and offering price is 70k. I think its a good deal and the house is in a good shape

Originally posted by @John Christodoulakis :

I haven't looked at any sold comps, the expected rent is 1450 per month and offering price is 70k. I think its a good deal and the house is in a good shape

Meets the (pro forma) "2% Rule", but, sold comps research is a must

eg. What if $60k sales are common? How is $70k then a "good deal"? Cheers...

@John Christodoulakis , yeah, read Donavon's linked article. If anyone knows of better (non-MLS) sources for sold comps than what was mentioned there, please let us know. Cheers...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.