Rent to own Landord? Good or bad?

4 Replies

I have one of my friends that is going to be looking to rent to own in a few years and I was considering being the RTO landlord for that. I have never done a RTO and was wondering what thoughts people here that have done RTO before?

Do you typically pay to fix things like a traditional landlord or does the tenant? What if they dont have the funds to make repairs for example a new roof or a new water heater etc. 

Thanks, 

Peter

@Peter G. we do some here in my market. We let the tenant be responsible for all repairs and you want to get a good down payment or option deposit from the buyer. Have an attorney draft a lease option agreement for you or get one from a local expert. 

We have done a few. Only once have we had someone actually purchase the property. Our agreement says that they are responsible for any repairs under $1,000.

I would not do a RTO with a friend. If they don't end up purchasing in the end and you keep their option money there probably will be hard feelings and may lose a friend.

I wouldn't ever recommend doing this with a friend, its business and could end the friendship. 

Another option is to require them to purchase a home warranty. Usually cost around $50 mo and covers a lot of repairs, there are additional servicing fees similar to deductibles, but at least they don't have to come up with $5K to replace the HVAC, etc.

Thank you all for your reply's ruining the friendship is what i was most concerned about with RTO. I will think on it more.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here