AttnLANDLORDS! WHAT DO YOU USE? When renting our apartment in NJ

5 Replies

I’m  purchasing a 2 family with a vacancy. I would like to know what landlords in NJ are using as a platform to rent and showcase your apartments?  

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Hi Chris,

I’m in PA but I don’t think that matters much for this question. I’ve used these with success:

cozy.co (cross posts to realtor.com and one other site I don’t recall offhand).
Zillow (cross posts to multiple sites).
Apartments.com
Craigslist

The latter two I didn’t use on my last listing but I had good responses from there when I used them in the past.

If you’re occupying one side and renting the other, I’m guessing you won’t want section 8 tenants, but if you do, check out gosection8.com.

For context - I’m a newer landlord myself with 2 current rental properties (one I just completed tenant lease signing for today) and had a third rental property which I sold about 3 of years ago.

Hope this helps.

@Karen Johnson yes!  you definitely did help. Thank you for your response!  I was kind of headed in that direction just wasn’t sure if there are more local listings rather than the nation wide websites.  

Good luck and wish you the best with your landlordship!  

Hey Chris,

I'm an agent who assists landlords in finding and screening tenants. Posting it on Zillow is more than enough. When you post it on Zillow it automatically syncs to HotPads and Trulia. Another honorable mention is the Facebook marketplace. Be sure to take plenty of good pictures on your phone and add the important facts in your rental ad (like who's going to be paying what, if pets are allowed, the duration of the lease, etc.).

That was a good suggestion re.: Facebook marketplace. Lots of traffic from there and can do some prescreening using messenger. Although I will note that a lot of the people from there are also just tirekickers who click the “Is this available?” button and never respond to any messages after that. Still, it gave some good added visibility and some real prospects came out of it.

@Noel Challenger Thank you. Your suggest is noted. Looks like I’m going to reactivate my Facebook account back up. I’m willing to try anything. 

@Karen Johnson your right!  It will give me a chance to learn how/another way to prescreen. Great educationally tip!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here