Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Just sold one of my houses, debating on what to do with the money

Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Apr 2 2018, 08:53

I had lived in the house for 2 years. I put down about 100K and am walking away with about 300K, 100K of which is my down payment, give or take (rounded numbers for ease of discussion).

I just moved into one of my cheapest rentals and have three other rental properties, two of them still seasoning since purchased last year via 1031 exchange. The other one is ripe for the picking this year or next. So I have 4 houses and 3 rentals now.

Question is, what to do with the 300K? I have more money besides that sitting liquid but for now, just thinking about the 300K. Options are:

-I could buy 3 more houses with the money from the above noted sale and make cash flow and appreciation like I was from the house I just sold. Keep growing the portfolio. In about 4-5 years I plan on taking all but one house here in Seattle and 1031 exchanging for more properties in Las Vegas to formally retire.

-I could diversify and keep the 300K to further pad my funds for the next crash.

-I could do a combination of the two and buy just two houses instead of three with the proceeds and keep the 100K left over.

-I could buy two houses and use what's left to pay off my primary residence. Hesitant to pay it off since it would only save me $250 a month in interest payments and is not tax advantaged if I turn it back into a rental again. But perhaps from a qualitative perspective paying the house off is the best thing to do.

-I could put the 300K into the stock market (VTI index fund tracking the S&P 500).

-I could take my pool of cash and pay off my portfolio and have nearly 5K a month cash flow, buy an RV and travel the US like I would love to, still able to save 75% of my income at that point even in retirement.  :-) Though right now I'm still working to add funds for the next crash; I'm saving my six figure take home pay now that I am living in my el cheapo house and living off my rental income. Just good to know I have that option. :-)

Note:

In a few years I plan to move to Las Vegas. I am not sure about buying property there right now because it's difficult to manage from here and not enough cash flow to justify property management. It's something I've thought about but I think I'm better off buying locally for now still. If I keep buying houses in the area now via 1031's, I'd have 7 houses to 1031 (keep one house here as a base) into 14+/- properties in Las Vegas before I retire.

Whether I put they money into index funds or more rentals, I am now officially FI (again)! I was buying bigger and better deals so as my expenses pushed me out of the FI column for a few years but it all came together full circle. Now living in the second house I ever purchased and am enjoying not having a crushing mortgage anymore...

Loading replies...