Question on Contingency

1 Reply

Hi All,

I am trying to offer for a MFH. 

1. The seller wants a non-financial contingent offer. My agent is asking to go in with a due-diligence contingency and if something happens with loan, we will use that contingency. Is it ok?

2. Did anyone do a drop/swap LLC swap before? What is the advantage(s)/disadvantage(s)?

3. The seller wants to do a 1031 exchange but does not have a property to do it. How are we protected in case he does not find a property and we perform?

4. The loan agent says it costs ~12k for appraisal of a MFH. Is it accurate?

Thanks,

Sastry.

@Sastry Konduri hey there! I think removing a financing contingency on a financed offer is a very risky move if you are not 110% this property will pass financing and that you are eligible to finance this property. No financing contingency means lost deposit when your loan gets denied.

You mention a due diligence period to counter this contingency but for how long? I wouldn’t think a seller would want no financing contingency but allow a 30+ day inspection period.

Also, I would not allow offer to be contingent upon seller’s 1031 unless this is really a phenomenal deal and even at that it makes me uneasy. We’re talking about spending money on inspection and appraisal for the seller to walk away clean and you negative $X if seller decides they cannot find a property.

How about putting property under contract and beginning inspection period when seller is under contract with the property of their choice.

Or perhaps make a time period in which seller must find prospective property like 3-6 months.

Hope I was able to provide some insight. Going to allow someone more knowledgeable to explain the questions I left unanswered.

Happy investing !

Gabe Amedee, Real Estate Agent in Florida (#3388321)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.