• Lender
  • Grand Haven, MI
Votes |
Should I buy this tenant-occupied SFR?

Christian Hall
  • Lender
  • Grand Haven, MI
Posted Apr 5 2018, 06:51
Hi BP community, Looking for some advice. I currently own and manage one rental property and I’m considering purchasing the following property in the same city: 3 bed 1 bath 1,051 square feet $39,900 asking price (yes, this is a realistic asking price for this market) Homes in this area/condition can rent for around $800-$1,000 per month. It’s a low-income area, but not a bad neighborhood. I just viewed the property with my agent and it looks great. Just a few minor cosmetic concerns. All great so far! My only concern is the fact that it is tenant-occupied. The tenant is on a lease up through May of 2019 at $650 per month. Barf. I’m trying to think about the long-term gain of a great property, not the short-term loss on cash flow. I plan to make improvements to the property and raise the rent to market value ($800-$1,000) at the end of their lease. If they stay, great! If not, I’ll rent it to someone else. I’m just worried because I didn’t screen this tenant. I don’t know their background, references, or rental history. They could trash the house once they hear I plan to raise the rent. Sure, that is part of investing, but I’d love to avoid a trashed house/eviction situation if possible. This is all hypothetical, but it’s on my mind and I’d love some advice. Of course I’ll treat the tenants great and fairly, but it still has me nervous. Am I being paranoid? What would you experienced SFR investors do? Thank you so much for any and all thoughts! Christian

Loading replies...