Durham, NC TREIA or Not?

6 Replies

Hey all, 

I'm new to the Durham NC area and looking to join an REI Group. I see one named TREIA and wanted to know if it was worth it.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Pay to attend one meeting bring some biz cards and network.  Try to identify what real estate need you have before attending so you know who to try and connect with ,if you find someone who can help you out then it was worth the cost of attending. You don't have to be a member to attend but you will have a higher entry fee than members will. If you like it then you can decide to become a member if not you only made a small investment $20-$30. @Dawn Brenengen handles the Bigger pockets meet up in Raleigh/Durham and there are hundreds of people here on BP to connect with. Hope this helps out !!!

@Michael Bell TREIA is definitely worth it to attend.  I would go to one of the smaller subgroup meetings instead of the big monthly meetings.  And yes, we do have a BP meeting every so often.

@Adrian Becoat & @Dawn Brenengen

I greatly appreciate the feed back. I would love to be invited to the next BP meet up and connect any other time for coffee or lunch. I think I will take Adrians advice and attend one and see how I like it. 

Just a heads up TREIA West has a meeting Monday April 23rd. I just registered and there were a few seats left .....TREIA West is basically Durham , Orange & Chatham counties. @Michael Bell

@Michael Bell I’ve been to several treia meetings and I would echo what others have said about doing smaller sub groups instead of the main meeting.

The main meeting I went to was basically a 3 hour guru pitch, which I found really off putting. Then they keep pushing this other guru from Cincinnati for wholesaling. I like to avoid gurus when possible.

I didn’t like what I was seeing so I basically created my own groups, that are much smaller. Hope this helps.

@Adrian Becoat OK I will attend it depending on the time. I will go look at the sight asap. @Caleb Heimsoth I think I will try and make the one on the 23rd and take the advice of hitting the sub up first. Thanks for the advice

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.