What path should I take?

4 Replies

I'm looking for any help, advice, tips, tricks, or ideas. I live just outside of Charlotte, NC. My wife and I bought our house in 2015 with the idea of eventually turning it into a rental property. This was before I knew anything about REI. We bought it for market value of $162k, put $7k down, and got an FHA loan for $155k. I had a hunch that the area's value would rise, and a little over two years it's worth $205k (according to Zillow), with our loan paid down to $145k. Our mortgage is $1,050 monthly. I made a poor choice to buy an expensive car in 2013 and had high payments of $420 a month. Knowing I had to change something to make my Real Estate dreams happen. I have sold the car for a profit of $5k which went directly into our savings which is now almost $20k. I've been thinking of trying to get an equity line of credit on my house. This way we can keep it for a rental. I've also thought about selling the house. Taking the profit and buying a fixer upper while also buying another property for a rental. I love the idea of long distance investing, essentially following David Greene's "core four" strategie. I just don't really know how to find the good markets, or run the numbers on property yet. Any help on a path or strategy I haven't thought of, would be great thanks! Let me know if you have any questions for me.

@Zachary Gray ,

If I were you, I'd keep the house, make it a rental and then go buy another home where you can live in, since owner occupied loans only require 5%.    If your wife is on board, in 2 years, keep that house as a rental and move to the next one!     

Outside of that, I'd say look within 1 hour driving distance for a good rental! 

@Linda D.

We are somewhat wanting a change. Thinking of moving to another state, we still aren't sure. I know other comparable rentals in my neighborhood are renting for $1200 to $1400. Would it still cash flow with a property management company? 

PM in CLT is typically 8% of monthly rent so at $1200 w your mortgage it will not cash flow.

@Raul R. Do you think refinancing my house would be better for cash flow with a property management company?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here