BRRRR- What If I can't Refinance?

4 Replies

Newbie Alert! 

I have found a deal and am in negotiations.  We plan on using hard money to purchase and rehab.  Once we have bought, rehabbed, and rented the property, what happens if we can't refinance?  

Lenders/Banks will not use all of our income due to commission being less than 2 years.  Also looking at my tax return it appears that the rental income divided by days rented get's me a negative cash flow (even when adding back in the depreciation).  This will shoot our Debt to income ratio out of financing bounds.  

Is our only choice to flip?  How can I refi this deal to pay off the hard money debt?

There are asset-based lenders who will lend solely based on your cashflow and not your personal financials, so they don't care about things like DTI, pay stubs, tax returns, etc. So you can use these lenders to refinance instead of a traditional bank. They're going to be more expensive than your conventional lenders with rates ranging from 5% - 8%. The exact rate is based on things like LTV, credit, DSCR, and experience.

The comment about negative cashflow is concerning though... will it be cashflow positive once fully renovated and rented out?

What is DSCR? And who are these lenders?

We cash flow great (or what I think is great). About $350 after fees for a SFR with about $50k in equity. My CPA used incorrect days rented as it was our primary for a good portion of the year. I know lenders use a 25% vacancy factor as well that makes it look not so good.

@Cathleen Blackmon

Debt Service Coverage Ratio is a measure of how much cash flow are you getting in comparison to your monthly loan costs (how well can you cover your debt service costs). Obviously the more cash flow you have in relation to your loan payment, the less risky this will be to a creditor.

I will say that the BRRRR method poses the risks you talked about above. As is typical in real estate- the price you pay for the property is crucial. Although being invested in real estate is great, it's not worth jumping into a sub-par deal.

Hopefully you can get this worked out!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.