Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Kristi C.
Votes |
Problem with Neighbor and Property Line

Kristi C.
Posted May 18 2018, 06:34

I purchased a house last year. I did not have the property surveyed. It appears the property line is in the driveway, with me owning most of the driveway. The driveway is shared with a vacant lot. The man who lives in the trailer on the other side of the vacant lot claimed he own the vacant lot. 

He constantly harasses us about the property line. He put a spike in the ground and said the city surveyed it and put the mark there. They said they don't do that and did not do that. Later he moved the mark into my side of the driveway. Now he's moved it to my property entirely and claims a city official has marked it. I know he is the one moving it. A surveyor didn't do it. He's not even claiming a surveyor did it. He says city officials are doing it for free. The city said they don't mark property lines, for free or for pay. So last week he claimed he owns all the driveway and called police on me for blocking "his" driveway. He put his house number on my property on a post. He calls police on me every time he sees me at my property on the side by him and claims I'm trespassing on him.

So anyway, I went to the courthouse to look at the deeds and plats. I own most of the driveway. He owns zero percent of the driveway. He does not own the vacant lot between our houses. It appears he is trying to claim the property by squatting and announcing constantly that he owns it. Yet, he calls the cops to come talk to me if he thinks I'm over "his" property line. I'm trying to get in contact with the owner of the lot. In the meantime, do I need to remove the spikes and poles he is putting in my driveway? Does he get to just claim he owns it if the poles are there long enough? He only started trying to claim the driveway when I bought the house. I know he will call police if I remove the spikes and poles he is putting in my side yard. He's constantly digging in my property and putting things there to mark it. The markers keep moving closer to my house. He indicated recently he owns up to the edge of my house like we don't have walking space there. I own about 6 or 8 ft on the side of my house.

Loading replies...