Jacob Rivera
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
Looking at Flip but Contractor & Realtor Strongly Disagree

Jacob Rivera
  • Rochester, NY
Posted May 23 2018, 13:01

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to flip my first house but I'm running into a serious dilemna & I could definitely use some advice to steer me in the right direction. I'm currently looking for a house to flip in the market I live in. I'm using a realtor who help me with my 1st rental property (she works with many others investors as well) and she lined up a wholesale from another investor who doesn't have the time to put into it. Current price is $113k , she was saying it should only need about $7k-$8k in rehab and she should be able to sell it for 150k, which is on pa for comps in the area.

However, my contractor (who's a close friend but is a legit contractor) went to take a look at it with me & believes the rehab is gonna be closer to $12k-15k and doesn't believe the realtor can sell it for what she's saying she can. He's been in construction for a longtime but mostly doing commercial & some residential work. So I'm not sure if all the repair is absolutely necessary to sell the house.

I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place because I trust them both in their knowledge & abilities. My realtor is adamant the house doesn't need that much repair & that she can sell it at that price point. My friend (contractor) thinks I'm a fool if I think this is a good deal. But my contractor doesn't know what it takes to sell a house & my realtor isn't a contractor.

This is problematic for me because I'm still new to this & this flip could make me a good deal of money or be horrible depending on who's right. How have you guys dealt with these situations?? How did you come to your conclusions?? And what am I missing or not asking?? Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...