I just purchased a home and found out that it's on demolition

24 Replies

The city is telling you they "can't" take it off the list? Seems that if they are the ones making the decision, they can take it off any list they want. Personally I would escalate it in both directions. Go back to the city and discuss removing it from the list. On the other side, go back to the seller, their agent and your agent and ask why there was no disclosure that the home was on a demolition list. Not sure if it is their responsibility or yours (I always pull city info on any house I plan to purchase) to discover or divulge the home being slated for demo... but it can't hurt to open dialogue with the seller and their team.

That is why the bubble will pop. People are buying houses cash sight unseen. 

I am sorry you came into this situation. If you bought through agent, then I think you can sue them since they must disclose.

I don't know about NY state, but I've checked out a few houses in NC that were flagged for demolition in three different cities.  I even owned one such property twenty years ago.  These were properties that were flagged for demolition because they fell into disrepair and had visually obvious structural defects. In NC, as @Matt Harris said above is also true in Rochester, the municipalities will (I would even say "want to") work with the property owner to not demolish the property.

What the city will require is usually some sort of plan that you intend to get the property up to code in a reasonable amount of time.  Deliver the plan to the appropriate city department and they will likely postpone the demolition to give you time to rehab the property.  Once the repairs has been made to the city's satisfaction, they will remove the building from the demolition list.

If the flag has existed since 2015, that's a good indication the city doesn't really "want" to demolish the house.  If they really "wanted" to do it, they wouldn't wait three years.

Good luck,

Rosetta did you not use a lawyer during the entire process? I was under the impression that a lawyer is required for each the buyer and the seller in all NY real estate transactions.

Originally posted by @Nancy Zhao :

You need a real estate attorney. NY has disclosure laws and you might be able to file a claim against the seller and/or the title insurance company.

Yeah, this should have come up during due diligence right? From the title company and what not? Or whatever attorney worked on the deal??  (Obviously from the seller as well, but they have proven to be unreliable, clearly.)

They will work with you.  You need to go to City Hall.  You will also need to have an attorney so they can contact the City's attorney and push this for you.