Selling a house with a driveway that is difficult to get into

15 Replies

Got a Rancher Single family home that is in a good neighborhood, has a large backyard, that is full of potential. However, it is impossible to turn into the driveway when the house is on the right side of the road. The driveway is slanted 45 degrees instead of being a 90 degree driveway from the street. *It's easy to get into the driveway when the house is on the left side of the road.  

You might say I should expand the driveway entrance, but that isn't possible due to a electric pole to the right side of the driveway and the left side is a walk way to the entrance of the house. 

What are my options? How do you sell a home like this? What can I do to improve my changes of selling near ARV?

Thank you for the help fam!

@John Moon Unfortunately, there may not be anything you can do about this. I specialize in manufactured housing and some communities have the same problem regarding entrances. One thing you can do is get a second opinion from a good real estate agent who specializes in selling homes in that neighborhood. Good luck!! 

I can't help you with that photo. .. maybe go to the place and get some decent street side shots...  The only thing I can think of is that you could construct either a "loop" or a carpark area

This is a better image of what is actually happening. That car you see, will not be able to turn right. What personally do is go forward and back into the house. however, it is narrow so it maybe nerve wrecking for some. Also this is a main road where there is cars coming consistently. 

The right of the telephone poll is the neighbors yard.

I like moving the mailbox. Or add a few feet on the left side, giving you more room to turn in.

Some digging, gravel, and bags of asphalt would probably be fine.

I have a similar situation. Some utility companies will allow you to pay for a utility pole move. This could cost between $1,000 and $15,000 and it will not happen quickly. They should be able to give you a quote if you give them a detailed description of the location and pole number. Will it add to property value? Perhaps. But I would say that a cost benefit analysis would have to be done. 

My suggestion resonates with what other bp members have recommended; widen on both sides. 

The other option is leave it as is. I am assuming that previous owners always just approached the driveway from the left. You get used to it. It would be no different than a home with a divided road in front, only one direction gives you access. It may seem strange but live there a month and it will become normal.

@Max Tanenbaum that is a great advice. Thinking of it, even that small of a opening can have huge impacts of ease of going into the house from the right. 

@Mike McCarthy Theres a sewage drain immediately on the left of the driveway. Would this have any impact?

@Sharon Powell I would love to do a half circle! However, there isnt any room. The yard right of the driveway is the neighbors property and i do not want to build on it without getting their written permission. 

@Ryan Walker I did not even know that was a possibility! I will reach out to the utility pole company and see if theres any possibility of that. 

In terms of adding new pavement, does anyone have real life cost examples they have done? 

My current solution is to talk with the neighbor and get a binding lot adjustment done. I will keep this group posted. And also moving the mail box post.