Purchasing a property out of an IRA

12 Replies

Hi All,

I was trying to look at some tax strategies and was curious if anyone else knows if this is possible. I have rentals in my IRA. Is there lending institution that would allow me to put 20-25% down to buy the property out the IRA? I surmised there wouldn't be a tax event.

The bank replaces the cash value in the IRA and a note gets created outside like a private investment?

Anyone know of this or banks that would do it?

@Mark C.

A bank will lend to the IRA, and you can do a cash out refinance of an existing IRA held property. Any funds must be held within the IRA and used for additional IRA investments.

You may not personally purchase a property from your IRA under any circumstances, or personal borrow money against an IRA held property. That would create a prohibited transaction.

If your properties were paid for in cash and there is no mortgage on them, you could do a cash out refinance while still in the ira. That would get your ira more cash to work with, but now you have a mortgage that your ira has to pay every month. There are lenders who will lend up to 50% or 60% of the value of the property. This is all WITHIN your ira, not selling from or to the ira. You will not get cash in your hand, it would be cash in your ira's account to go and buy more or lend to other investors.

@Mark C.
There are some banks that lend to IRA’s. What I see a lot of is IRA investors investing in mortgage notes as you can acquire the note with your IRA and not have to deal with the tax consequences

@Mark C.

I just used QuestIRA and was very happy with my first IRA purchase. In order to use a Lender or refinance your loan has to be "nonrecourse" loans.

Some of the nonrecourse loan QuestIRA recommended to me was:

North American Savings Bank, Icon Bank, Texas Republic Bank, and Blue Bridge.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Mark C. :

Hi All,

I was trying to look at some tax strategies and was curious if anyone else knows if this is possible. I have rentals in my IRA. Is there lending institution that would allow me to put 20-25% down to buy the property out the IRA? I surmised there wouldn't be a tax event.

The bank replaces the cash value in the IRA and a note gets created outside like a private investment?

Anyone know of this or banks that would do it?

All this is good, in0fact you can get a lender to do the following:

1. Refi at 50% LTV non-recourse home by home (individual mortgages) - you will return some of your capital to your IRA this way, I do not imagine this is a taxable event... unless you get a higher appraisal, so it may be a gain? Check with a tax pro on that - this will allow you to leave the homes in the trust account
  2. Refi with a commercial style loan - potentially get 75% LTV, you need to have at least $500k+ Loan for this , it is non-recourse it can be a trust, it will be a 5,7.10 yr. type commercial loan - this can possibly return more cash back to the IRA - assuming this is not a taxable event either - talk to tax pro

If you elect to place leverage on the property, please consider and speak with a tax pro about UBIT and UDFI tax 

My original post was an attempt to see if a strategy I had would work. It was to finance the property out of the IRA to myself, currently in the IRAs. Not finance properties within the IRA. Not create notes inside the IRA.