Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Hunt
  • All Over, USA
Votes |
0% Down, Owner Occupied...Yes or No?

Aaron Hunt
  • All Over, USA
Posted Jun 25 2018, 08:09

Will be moving soon to a (annoyingly) HOCL area for career and to be closer to family.

Based on career/projected income, was offered a 0% down, no PMI, owner-occupied option (Rate is ~4.8%) from a bank we have a relationship with. Extends well into the high 6 figure range.

No intention of maxing this out, still focused on investment portfolio growth. 

We are looking at living “small” relative to the area, and our income.  Budgeting 10%-12% of our gross household income towards mortgage (or rent...). We will be settling in this area long-term, potentially forever.

Our first world problem gives us the following options:

1. Rent. Invest elsewhere where the numbers make sense. Aim to buy “forever home” later on down the road, maybe at next correction.

2. Buy a turnkey condo/home now with the 0% down program to take advantage of owner occupied financing. Convert to rental or sell. Advantage: It’s just barely over what we’d pay for a rental. Disadvantage: If it becomes a rental it will not be cash-flowing, offsetting the no down payment. (Glass half full: I can and would take the down payment and invest elsewhere...)

3. Rent (short term). Buy something more beat up (read:older) with owner-occupied financing, rehab and force appreciation. (Easier said than done, but willing to go at it.)

Question boils down to: 

Should we continue to take advantage of no/low-down owner occupied program everytime we move?

Or is cash flow so important that it negates any advantage of low-down programs in this type of hot market where house values are smoking rental market? They don’t seem to be catching up...

Loading replies...