Buying a house with power lines running through the backyard

Buying a house with power lines running through the backyard

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes

I'm looking to buy a rental property and there is one house which numbers seem to add up for my scenario except for one thing: there are high voltage power lines running through the lot (more on the backyard and less on the house). At first, I didn't notice that since the lines are really high up. However, there is a huge tower 3 blocks away that could be seen anywhere in the neighborhood.

It's a cookie cutter neighborhood so many houses nearby do have the same situation.

I read that besides being a fire hazard, the magnetic field might cause health issue therefore affects price appreciation. Should I walk away from this house? Everything else was perfect.

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    That’s a tough one . Have you spoke with the neighbors and see if it has been an issue over the years with them or any family members ?have you checked comps on close homes that sold ? I would atleast hope your getting a hefty discount off the potential value compared to say a similar house on the other side of town
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Hung Dao The effects of electromagnetic radiation are, in my opinion, drastically exaggerated.  

    I don't think there's any credible case to be made for an increased fire hazard. 

    What is not exaggerated however, is the public's perception, and that may have an impact on the marketability of your rentals.

    See if you can run comps on similar rentals on the same street vs nearby rentals that were away from the power lines and see what the effect is.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.