More greedy seller, investors or owner occupied?

8 Replies

My question is directed solely toward MLS listings of non distressed properties. My observation is that cash investors or investors with substantial equity, tend to be more greedy with their sale prices. It's often seems they put things up for sale with insane prices like CL sellers using free ADS, than pull them from the market after no suckers take the bait.

I think an active investor would know the market more than an owner occupant that isn’t constantly searching for deals. Investors in hot markets know they’re in hot markets and for all you know he may just be testing the market.

Just like you have an MAO when searching for properties, he may have one when selling. When the seller doesn’t accept your MAO, you just move on. Same goes for when you get an offer that doesn’t meet your off loading price.

I can concur that tenant occupied properties tend to give me a harder time with negotiations but at the end of the day it’s a numbers game so I go after it like any other lead. Eventually you’ll find the landlord who’s dying to be out the business and takes your lowball offer. Just let the process work itself

Happy investing!

Originally posted by Account Closed:
Originally posted by @Dustin Beam:

We all love dirt cheap properties... Unless we're the ones selling haha. 

So true. Real estate agents also seem to over price their own property listings.

Maybe, maybe not. But my point is not that they are some evil seller trying to screw you. They are most likely just trying to get the best market value they can. It's up to you to decide if it works for you or not. 

Conversely, I don't make my rentals nice and cheap, I rent them for what the market decides they are worth. 

Originally posted by @Dustin Beam :
Originally posted by @Robert R.:

So true. Real estate agents also seem to over price their own property listings.

Maybe, maybe not. But my point is not that they are some evil seller trying to screw you. They are most likely just trying to get the best market value they can. It's up to you to decide if it works for you or not. 

Conversely, I don't make my rentals nice and cheap, I rent them for what the market decides they are worth. 

My use of the word greedy, was directed towards how reasonable they might be on price, rather than a ethical value judgement. 

My use of the word greedy, was directed towards how reasonable they might be on price, rather than a ethical value judgement. 

Fair enough, but I think "reasonable" is relative. If they truly are too high, it won't sell. If it does sell, then you can't blame them. Some sellers aren't very motivated, some are. 

It’s capitalism . You can’t fault the guy for tryin’
The reality is the market will “ correct” him due the law of supply and demand . His property is only worth what someone will pay for it and not a penny more

Originally posted by @Dustin Beam :

Fair enough, but I think "reasonable" is relative. If they truly are too high, it won't sell. If it does sell, then you can't blame them. Some sellers aren't very motivated, some are. 

So back to the original question does anyone see investor sellers as a more reasonable group?