Flood Insurance Needed? Manmade Lake, Building not in Flood Zone

Flood Insurance Needed? Manmade Lake, Building not in Flood Zone

Investor · Cramerton, NC · Member since 2017 · 336 posts · 198 votes

I googled for the answer but didn't find much.

I'm looking at a set of three duplexes nearby a manmade lake.  The buildings clearly are not in the flood zone but part of the parcel is.

The loan will be a commercial loan, not a Fannie/Freddie backed loan.

Will the bank require I have flood insurance?  I will of course ask them but also looking for some input from the community....

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Josh Stack the loan will only require Flood insurance if the footprint of the building, not the lot, is in the flood zone.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vandalia, MI · Member since 2018 · 569 posts · 264 votes
    8y

    I thought flood insurance was very inexpensive per year.  I think mine is 60.00 a year.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Josh Stack the loan will only require Flood insurance if the footprint of the building, not the lot, is in the flood zone.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Just to add to what @Jason Bott said, it's also my understanding that if the property is in multiple zones, unless the actual building is in the flood zone, you should be fine.  But the lender may have different requirements for their commercial loan, so up to them.  Also, check out your insurance requirements before making a commitment as well because these days, some insurance companies around here are declaring their own surge zones or flood zones and either not insuring within them or the rates are extreme.    

  • Investor · Cramerton, NC · Member since 2017 · 336 posts · 198 votes
    8y

    @Lynn McGeein, @Jason Bott

    The response I got from my lender was as follows:

    • If any portion of the parcel is within a flood zone, flood insurance will be a requirement.
    • If a survey is carried out and shows that the footprint of the improvements (buildings) are not in the flood zone, the requirement for flood insurance can be mitigated/waived.

    Thanks for your input.

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    What about a property in the 100 yr flood zone that is sitting 20 inches off the ground?

    I have a lot that I'm thinking of building in...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.