buying investment property near a hospital

4 Replies

@Westlake John I have a friend who owns property near hospital and medical school and a good majority of his tenants are students/residents. I imagine if your property is appealing enough doctors and nurses would like to live close depending on what property type you have and their family life. Being single versus having a family is a major factor, also property type is a factor. 

Originally posted by @Alex Price :

@Westlake John I have a friend who owns property near hospital and medical school and a good majority of his tenants are students/residents. I imagine if your property is appealing enough doctors and nurses would like to live close depending on what property type you have and their family life. Being single versus having a family is a major factor, also property type is a factor. 

The property is a 2 family semi attached home with a driveway.

Thank you for your response !

I have a duplex near a hospital.  We advertise the units exclusively to traveling nurses on 2-3 month stays and have had really good success.  If you don't mind furnishing nicely and paying utilities, you can nearly double your rent.  Downside is more work, but the extra cash is nice!

I am considering searching for SFR near a major hospital and medical school, as opposed to my initial search which was near a State University. I figured the drawback with state university is that it is not a major employment base, as opposed to a hospital and medical school where nurses, doctors, med school students, would, presumably reside near a hospital setting. any potential drawbacks/downsides for this scenario vs a home near a university?