Creative Ways for Contacting the Owner of an Abandoned Home

15 Replies

BP, I need your help. Long story short there is an abandoned home that I have found that I would like to purchase to fix and flip. This is what I have done so far:

- Went to the county and found the owners

- Found that the the owner still has their taxes sent to the abandoned home

- Wrote them a letter to said abandoned home telling them of my interest to purchase the home

So right now I'm in the waiting game to hopefully hear back from them. My questions to you all is if my letter idea does not work out, what other ways could I try to reach the owners? I only figure this house is abandoned because the exterior is beat up and unkempt and the inside of the home I can see the blinds rotting away. Let me know what you all think!

Cheers,

Mike

Funny.  There are two guys I've been trying to call.  I just start on google and follow the trail.  You'll often find a FB page or LinkedIN page you can message them from.  

@Michael Gustavo google will bring up lots of people search sites. They all say free. What happens is your "Free" search simply takes you to a pay search page.  Expect too pay to find the info. Most of these search companies all pull info from the same 2 or 3 databases.  I have used findtheseller.com and Private eye.com.  I subscribe to a pay service on a monthly basis. Most of the credit reporting companies offer such a service. 

If you really think you have a great potential deal you can pay a real private detective. It will cost $50-$500 but if it get you a deal it can be worth it.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

Did you even check to see if there is a mtg or other liens?

Went to the recorders office and there were none but at the same time not sure if that’s something that I would have to ask for or would be blatantly obvious and mentioned, but the docs I saw showed no such info

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

@Michael Gustavo google will bring up lots of people search sites. They all say free. What happens is your "Free" search simply takes you to a pay search page.  Expect too pay to find the info. Most of these search companies all pull info from the same 2 or 3 databases.  I have used findtheseller.com and Private eye.com.  I subscribe to a pay service on a monthly basis. Most of the credit reporting companies offer such a service. 

If you really think you have a great potential deal you can pay a real private detective. It will cost $50-$500 but if it get you a deal it can be worth it.

Thanks Ned, I actually have a friend who has some type of person search database access but no such luck, I’ll check into those two sites. And a detective isn’t a bad idea either lol

Originally posted by @Matt K. :

Does the house have a paid serivce? Maybe contact them (if small company) and find out where the bill goes....

The taxes get sent to the residence, but looking to see where their other billing goes makes sense too.

Originally posted by @Michael Gustavo :
Originally posted by @Matt K.:

Does the house have a paid serivce? Maybe contact them (if small company) and find out where the bill goes....

The taxes get sent to the residence, but looking to see where their other billing goes makes sense too.

Does the lawn get mowed, I'd start there... 

Originally posted by @Matt K. :
Originally posted by @Michael Gustavo:
Originally posted by @Matt K.:

Does the lawn get mowed, I'd start there... 

Funny you say that, it didn't up until last week where I saw the lawn had been somewhat mowed and a trash can was out front. tmw is trash day so i'll do some spying