Best Real estate books to read for a beginner

5 Replies

Hello my name is Cole from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am fairly new to BP and real estate investing and Ive listened to some podcasts and read Rich Dad Poor Dad. I was wondering what books or knowledge sources can assist me in learning more about real estate.

@Cole Budney  The BP forums are a great place to learn more about real estate investing. Otherwise, some book recommendations (these include mostly books on business/lifestyle or buy/hold investing):

- "E-Myth Revisited" by Michael Gerber

- "Cashflow Quadrant" by Robert Kiyosaki (further builds on the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" foundation)

- "Set for Life" by Scott Trench

- "Long-Distance Real Estate Investing" by David Greene

- "The Book on Managing Rental Properties' by Brandon Turner and Heather Turner

- "The Miracle Morning" by Hal Elrod

-"HOLD" by Gary Keller (geared toward SFR)

-"The ABCs of Real Estate Investing" by Ken McElroy (geared toward commercial investing)

"Multi-Family Millions" by David Lyndahl (This is on my list of "To-Reads". I've personally been recommended it and have seen it recommend on the forums as well).

Depends what you are looking for - some books are motivational, some books are business books and some are real estate investing books. 

To start investing I would recommend Turner's: The book on rental property investing, and then the follow up book for managing your rental. Both are no-nonsense, nuts and bolts how-to guides. 

Generally you can't go wrong with any of the books featured here on BP.

Outside of that - Garry Kellers The ONE Thing is one of my favorit buisness books.

And Rich Dad Poor Dad is a classic of course.

@Cole Budney I also recommend David Greene's book on out of state investing, and Turner's book on investing with little to no down. 

If you are listening to the podcasts then you should be able to start compiling a healthy list of good reads. 

Good luck! 

"Your Money or your Life" by Vicky Robbins. Not RE specifically but will get you in the right mind set before you ever get started. 

"The Millionaire Next Door" and "The Millionaire's Mind", also not RE specific but mindset shaping. 

Beyond that, it depends on what you want to do in real estate.