Looking for a vacant land buyers agent, Portland OR

8 Replies

I'm looking for lots in the Portland Metro area and Washington County for building a single family home. I want to find an agent that knows how all the system development fees, zoning and building codes work. Anyone have a recommendation?

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

@Jay Hinrichs wife is an agent in Portland, likely with that experience.

thanks Russ  we don't work with one off lot buyers..

but I can answer the questions generically. 

hookup fees are 25 to 50k in this market. so pic and average and your fine.

other than that as long as your utls are to the lot and its a legal lot of record your good to go.

LOTS are sought after in a big way.. pretty tough pickings for individuals to beat the builders out if they do means they paid full boat retail and maybe more..  which is OK if the want to build their own home. 

Thanks Jay

It's pretty tough pickings in the regular real estate market here. That's why I'm looking into land. I've built before so I can handle the construction. My budget is so tight that a 25k difference in impact fees can determine if the project is feasible or not. From what I've seen it looks about 40k in Portland. 10-15k in rural Washington county, but Im not sure I found all the fees and I haven't found info for rural Multnomah county or any other city yet.

Originally posted by @William Kernan :

Thanks Jay

It's pretty tough pickings in the regular real estate market here. That's why I'm looking into land. I've built before so I can handle the construction. My budget is so tight that a 25k difference in impact fees can determine if the project is feasible or not. From what I've seen it looks about 40k in Portland. 10-15k in rural Washington county, but Im not sure I found all the fees and I haven't found info for rural Multnomah county or any other city yet.

rural means no city water or sewer so well and septic and if you don't have those U can spend at least 10 to 15k on a well and water system and septic 15k to 50k.. depending on soil.

plus your 5 to 10 k in building permits.. then your ready for vertical.. so city fee's are usually cheaper.

now place like Yamhill or Carlton you can find little funky infill and fee's there will be less than 20k.. maybe Banks Gaston etc.

its tough for land here.  I moved up to only buying 20 lot plus developments anymore.. by the time you do the brain drain at least you have 20 lots in one spot you can attack.. it could literally take you years to find 20 separate lots that made sense.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @William Kernan:

Thanks Jay

rural means no city water or sewer so well and septic and if you don't have those U can spend at least 10 to 15k on a well and water system and septic 15k to 50k.. depending on soil.

plus your 5 to 10 k in building permits.. then your ready for vertical.. so city fee's are usually cheaper.

now place like Yamhill or Carlton you can find little funky infill and fee's there will be less than 20k.. maybe Banks Gaston etc.

its tough for land here.  I moved up to only buying 20 lot plus developments anymore.. by the time you do the brain drain at least you have 20 lots in one spot you can attack.. it could literally take you years to find 20 separate lots that made sense

Jay! I talked to the City of Carlton recently - their fees are $25,000 but that does include the water meter. Does not include mechanical or electrical permits :-) Can you believe its even getting expensive in the "sticks."  There are a few small builders that are doing infill there - I think that they are pretty connected to the community.  Hard for someone new to pick up a lot and make the numbers work.  

Originally posted by @Lisa Thoele :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @William Kernan:

Thanks Jay

its tough for land here.  I moved up to only buying 20 lot plus developments anymore.. by the time you do the brain drain at least you have 20 lots in one spot you can attack.. it could literally take you years to find 20 separate lots that made sense

Jay! I talked to the City of Carlton recently - their fees are $25,000 but that does include the water meter. Does not include mechanical or electrical permits :-) Can you believe its even getting expensive in the "sticks."  There are a few small builders that are doing infill there - I think that they are pretty connected to the community.  Hard for someone new to pick up a lot and make the numbers work.  

I built 6 there before the rates went up.. I remember being sub 20k all in.. but I liked Yahmill  was 12k.. 

@William Kernan I personally will have some lots coming available. Two in the Woodstock area will be ready early 2019 and two in the West Portland Park area will be available next fall/winter. You can DM me for more details. Some of the agents at my brokerage work with land as well, so I'm happy to introduce you. 

Thanks!

I have a 100’ x 60’ lot in Belmont, zoned R2.5, that I’m planning to divide into 2 separate 50’ x 60’ lots.  The north end of the lot has a home on it and I plan to build a new home on the newly created southern lot.  There are at least two carbon copy examples in the neighborhood and this seems to be a low complexity project.  Can anyone here recommend a surveyor and/or engineering firm who can guide me through the land division process, create the new plat plan and help sort though the possible need for a new retaining wall on the south end of the lot?