There is a multi-unit building on the market built in 1969. The building has been tested for asbestos, and it was found to exist in the joint compound, not in the drywall itself. My understanding is the asbestos particles could possibly be released if, say a nail was pounded into he wall to hang a picture, or someone cuts into the wall. Does this present any kind of health hazard or potential legal problem? Is the perception of this type of hazard worse than the reality? Another question is, "was asbestos commonly used in construction during this time"?
the way I read asbestos potential is that is has to be "friable" to be any danger. in other words say you have raw unpainted ceiling tiles that are falling apart, that asbestos could be considered to getting into the air. Paint it and you limit the fibers ability to go drifting off and cause harm. I cant imagine a situation where you would be in trouble over asbestos in the joint compound only(because it is sealed), except when you go to sell (disclose to buyer) or take on a big remodel (tearing out walls).
I think it is reasonable to include the cost of remediation by a professional company (shockingly expensive to do by the book) in your negotiations on price, as the next buyer will likely do it to you.