User Stats

Votes
Anne Williams
Votes |
AGENT SUGGESTS I OVERBID AND SEE IF HOME APPRAISES THEN NEGOTIATE

Anne Williams
Posted Sep 27 2018, 18:38

Hello,

I'm trying to buy my first home to live in and the market is pretty hot right now in Newark. I was interested in a particular property, but I don't think its worth the cost of what they are selling it for after looking at data, area, comps etc. My agent is advising me to perhaps give them close to asking price or more and if it does not appraise we can renegotiate for a lower price later.  

Is this good advice? Do most sellers usually lower the price if their home does not appraise for the price of the accepted offer?

Is this a clever way to beat out the competition to get a property you want or is this a bad idea?

I would be going into the situation hoping that it will not appraise because I already "know " or assume I over bid.

My realtor claims that if it does appraises to the high offer price, at least I will be reassured that it is worth that price.

I'm just not sure if this is a smart way to go about this, but with bidding wars and low inventory I need to figure out what to do gain a desirable home.

Loading replies...