Concrete slab back patio showing cracks. What to do?

10 Replies

I’m noticing the cracks in the slab seem to be worsening. Any suggestions on what can be done to help keep the slab from becoming uneven?How much would it cost?

Picture included

Nothing you can realistically do. There are companies that will inject under the slab to attempt to stabilise it but the crack will not go away. The prep work was not done properly and eventually it will need to be removed. Enjoy it till the crack becomes a trip hazard or bite the bullet and replace now..

@Thomas S. Concrete cracks nothing you can do especially if they are shrinkage cracks If they are structural due to settlement then you would need to remove it and have structural fill put under it to properly support it My recommendation is to nothing
Originally posted by @Chris Seveney :
@Thomas S. Concrete cracks nothing you can do especially if they are shrinkage cracks If they are structural due to settlement then you would need to remove it and have structural fill put under it to properly support it

My recommendation is to nothing

What’s a landlord’s obligation here?

Originally posted by @Steve S. :
Originally posted by @Chris Seveney:
@Thomas S. Concrete cracks nothing you can do especially if they are shrinkage cracks If they are structural due to settlement then you would need to remove it and have structural fill put under it to properly support it

To provide a safe place to live...

Originally posted by @Matt K. :
Originally posted by @Steve S.:

Obviously. Was asking beyond that 

Originally posted by @Steve S. :
Originally posted by @Matt K.:
Originally posted by @Steve S.:

Obviously. Was asking beyond that 

It doesn't extend beyond that, unless something unique was written into the lease.

In California it is on most homes over 5 years old. Driveway, concrete patio. Put something over if it bother you.

We have brand new city halls they start crack after 3 months.....

@Steve S. I'm not being a smart *** but @Matt K. is right.  Unless it becomes a safety issue, I would not worry about it.  On my few buy/rehab/rent properties, I made them perfect.  I learned perfection costs time and money.  Now my goal is safe, clean and good enough to attract solid residents. 

Originally posted by @Terrell Garren :

@Steve S. I'm not being a smart *** but @Matt K. is right.  Unless it becomes a safety issue, I would not worry about it.  On my few buy/rehab/rent properties, I made them perfect.  I learned perfection costs time and money.  Now my goal is safe, clean and good enough to attract solid residents. 

I’ve been trying to balance keeping the tenant happy and not having them feel unsafe if aomeone randomly tripped and they point to the crack. Tripping onit would be tough but also trying to lean towards them a bit and make them happy 

If its still widening, you can have a company come out and level it. N-Square is a good national company to use. It won't be cheap. 

If it's finally settled and on grade with the rest of the patio, get a good bonding silicone and a can of exterior concrete paint. Fill the crack with the first one and cover the patio with the second one. 

If it's slipping, you can also pound some re-bar in to the backside to prevent it from slipping further. Just do it right as to not create additional hazards. 

Personally, I'd leave it unless it becomes a hazard.