Suggested use for a 1031 Exchange

Suggested use for a 1031 Exchange

Realtor · Napa, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 77 votes

Hello All,

I am trying to get an "out of the box" way of using this tax deferment. I own a home and am looking to move into something better. I have gained substantial equity but don't want to pay capital gains and have been in the home for a short time (about a year). I live in CA and know I have to be in the home a lot longer before I can sell without getting a huge hit on my equity. I thought about renting but would barely make the mortgage, which doesn't seem smart to me. I thought about opening an LLC and having it "own the property" and rent it to me then try that but I want to hear from others what they have done for this.

Thank you,

-Ronnie 

0Reply
6 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney and CPA · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 590 posts · 422 votes
    7y

    @Ronnie Galindo

    If you can wait another year, look into Internal Revenue Code Section 121 - exclude the gain from sale of your principal residence under certain circumstances.  If there's a big enough dollar value, you can also look into investing in the brand new "opportunity zones" but you wouldn't live there.

    *This post does not create an attorney-client nor a CPA-client relationship.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.