Property Analysis - Rules of Thumb

2 Replies

Hello all, 

I am constantly running analysis on prospective properties so I familiarize myself with the correct metrics, terminologies and what a deal actually looks like. I know there are several rules of thumb that I've seen sprinkled around forum and are stated on many podcast. Bear in mind I am looking to invest in the NY market.  Should I adjust any of these? 

• Operating expenses (not itemized; excludes debt service/mortgage) = 50-60% of rent
  • Down payment (If seeking bank financing) = 25% min of purchase price 
  • Closing cost = 2-3% of purchase price 
  • Property management = 8-12% or rent
  • Vacancy = 8-10% of rent 
  • Maintenance = 5-8% of rent 
  • Capital Expenses = 5-8% of rent 
  • Insurance (multi-family residential) = $75-100/unit/month 
  • Income growth = 1-2%
  • Property growth = 1-2%
  • Annual expense growth = 1-2%

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you all    

@Jared W Smith you will need to be a lot more specific on the type of property you are looking at. Is this a single family? Multi family? Apartment community? Commercial strip center? Industrial? These all have nuances that you need to know. 

The 50% rule holds true in a very broad sense when looking at apartments, but this is very area specific. In Chicago, where I am buying, it is not uncommon to see expenses run a bit higher (closer to 55%) due to boiler heat, cold winters, flat roofs, etc. 

Down Payment- This is literally all over the place. I have folks putting down 3.5% for FHA or 5% for conventional owner occupant loans. I normally put down 20% for my apartment investments. Some folks put down more.

Property management- 8-12% is way high if you are looking at anything other than SFR. I pay 5% on one of my buildings (plus lease up fees).

Vacancy- Again, this is very area specific. Real vacancy in the Chicago western suburbs where I invest, has been hovering around 5.5%. 

Maintenance- 5% is a good starting point. Get more detailed if a deal starts to make sense. 

CapEx- 5% is a good starting point. Get more detailed if a deal starts to make sense.

Insurance- I get real quotes from brokers once I am interested. 

Income growth- 1-2% seems pretty  low... we need to keep up with the 3% inflation historical norm. 

Annual expense growth- Normally tracks along with your income growth. 

Thank you very much for your response @John Warren

I am seeking to purchase a multi-family 3-5 unit residential property. It will be purely investment property. I will not occupy at all. 

I have been very conservative with my numbers giving myself some leeway for unforeseen issues. Property Management being on of those. I have researched my area and it seems 10% is rather normal for a small number of units. Obviously as it  grows the economy of scale will be in my favor.  

Thanks again for your insight. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here