How’s the Columbus Ohio market

6 Replies

I have a friend that live in Columbus, Ohio and I’m going to visit at the end of the month. I invest here in Houston and just wanted some insight on the market there

The multi-family market in Columbus Ohio is going extremely well! 2-4 units and commercial properties that are priced correctly and going under contract with multiple offers within hours if not a day or two. 

Yes I agree with @Trent Ecklar .

Cap rates are still tight in primary markets. Investors locally, from other states and even internationally are looking at secondary markets. Columbus is one of those secondary markets. Very strong here still!

Originally posted by @Kenneth Mukes :

I have a friend that live in Columbus, Ohio and I’m going to visit at the end of the month. I invest here in Houston and just wanted some insight on the market there

Expensive, lol! I mean not San Francisco expensive but I couldn't get the cash flow I was looking for out of there when I gave it a pilot run. Lovely place though.

you can still get great deals every day here. just gotta know the market and specialize in some type of asset class or type of property. If you want to start cheap in columbus i'd look at 43204, 43223, 43211 as starters. Lots of investors in those zips. if you need a prop manager recommendation once you are little more serious feel free to reach out if you find a deal i can put you in touch with someone. 

@Kenneth Mukes It's all relative...Columbus is not your typical Midwest city...growth is hard to comprehend...my prediction 3-years ago was that this city would overtake Chicago in terms of population ;) Interestingly enough, that prediction is on track.

It just depends on what you are after. CAP rates are acceptable comparable to similar sized markets if you are after larger multifamily...if you are looking at small stuff price-to-rent ratios are predictable...you can go from negative to 3% here...just depends on risk tolerance. It's a very diverse market here...but I can say that prices are rising across the board on any and all real property.

What is your preferred asset class? What areas of Columbus are you investigating? 

It's a little pricey for a midwestern city, BUT with that said you can still probably get some great deals there.