Votes
Anutr A.
  • London, Greater London
Votes |
Condo investment in Bangkok

Anutr A.
  • London, Greater London
Posted Oct 30 2011, 20:07

Lets say I have around 6 million baht (1 USD = 30 baht, so 6m baht = 200k USD) to invest. Im thinking of putting maybe half of it in stocks and other half in real estate.

In bangkok, a newly built mid-end condo, with modern facilities, carparks,for a 1 bed, 40 sqm in good location, fairly near sky train and fully furnished is maybe around 3m-4m baht. agency says i cud get around 22k-25k baht a month but im guessing its prob more like 15k-20k baht. most Thai wages will not be able to afford the rent, but its ideal for expats working in bkk. so the return is maybe around 6% before all costs, vacancy periods and appreciation/depreciation.

ive been reading a lot of negative and pessimistic views about condo as a buy-to-let especially in bkk. there r so many condos in bkk and many being built as land is not scarce yet cos old buildings can be cleared and new projects started easy. and other factors i dont know. also traffic is a nightmare and the condos that are centrally located (and most expensive) have one of the worst traffics (altho it wud prob be near sky train or underground which would be ok for expats.

keep in mind that i ll be paying in lump sum, wouldnt mind to gain some real estate exposure (im fairly interested in the industry),do you think its worth it to buy a condo in bkk as a buy-to-let?

thanks

Loading replies...