Should I be Investing with a Time Machine?

Should I be Investing with a Time Machine?

Rental Property Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 50 votes

Now that I got your attention, let's talk about Short Sales and whether/when they are a good fit.

First, some context:

A Short Sale is when the NET proceeds from a Real Estate SALE will fall not cover the DEBTS secured by the liens against the property. If ALL of lien holders agree to take a lesser amount than what is owed, the sale will proceed.

So... If the homeowner is too far behind in their payments to catch up AND the home is worth less than the mortgage because of the market value. 

The big thing is that a Short Sale is initiated by the homeowner/seller BUT has to get the lender to agree. A Foreclosure is the Lender/Bank has taken ownership of the property and now controls it, seeking to get back as close to the original loan amount as they deem appropriate. Now...

To my question/topic of discussion.

Since Short Sales take SO LONG to simply get an answer back to an offer, Is there a time when it's appropriate to pursue a Short Sale knowing and/or hoping another deal will pan out and provide the capital to close on a SS if the offer is accepted in the future, preferably when the market has risen a bit and I've hopefully locked in a past price? Like investing with a Time Machine.

Current Example: In approximately 6 months, I will have proceeds from a flip. If I come across a good deal that is a short sale, where the down payment on the offer I make will be covered by my current flip proceeds [assuming the bank and seller give the thumbs up], is their any harm in making the offer now?

As always I look forward to your thoughts!

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 632 votes
7y

So you intend to just throw out offers to sellers in time sensitive situations, and waste everyone's time for 6 months and then decide whether to execute? Nice.

Any good short sale listing agent has a ton of contingencies to prevent exactly this from happening and you are not likely to have success unless you find an incompetent listing agent...

Even then you will still need to prove your ability to purchase upfront, and you will lose your deposit funds by breaching contract. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Syed H. If your making a profit on short sales, it's because they are distressed properties, not because they are short sales....

    Short sales are rarely sold below market value, they're sold for what they are worth.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    most agents that I have worked with on these deals have specific short sale negotiators that tack on a fee

    as @Minna Reid states it takes an agent who is a specialist in this to get these done.

    I am a have to have it right now guy.. so when this stuff all hit in 07 08 I still had my brokerage that I owned and was going to start doing these .. but man one deal with Ocwen cured me of that desire LOL.. 

    and the bigger brokers that took this on.. its a business unto it self to do it right.

    in OR there was one broker.. he would just have on the listing.. make your offer here are the PDFS  put in your proof of cash down payment and your prequal.. and submit.. don't call me I will call you  .. they took so long. and of course the buying public does not understand so they are calling their agent 5 times a week wanting to know whats going on and the listing agent says up front I will call you when I know something.. which took months.. 

    Keep in mind back then the banks were not set up to deal with this stuff..  it was a crisis.

    the loss it department for wells Fargo based in Portland had less than 10 people in it in 04 05 by 2011 they had 400. 

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    7y

    One quick thing to add: Don't look at it as if you can think through the actions of the lender logically. Especially for larger banks, they have a number of different departments that don't necessarily talk to each other. They don't react with relief that you've come along and will save them from the foreclosure process. I have heard stories of banks that refused a price on a short sale then had a lower opening price after they became REOs. They're more like a machine that has its processes to run and follow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.