Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Boyer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Manheim, PA
Votes |
I hope I didnt make a 20k mistake at 19...

Nathan Boyer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Manheim, PA
Posted

I'm less than a year into real estate and hope I didn't just cause my mom to lose 20k. I am the agent representing her in both transactions. Situation explained below. Looking for guidance please. She wanted to downsize and had a large line of credit on her current home and used that to buy the smaller home. New home is under contract and after finding a small roof leak in current home, she is scared that the current home will never sell, so she wants to back out of the contract on the new home and take a loss of 20k.

Value of her Current Home: around 390k

Current debt: 60k line of credit

Been on the market for a week and we have had 2 showings and one tomorrow. We had it listed at 415k and after two showings suggested to lower it. It's now at 400k. A lot of the sites like zillow haven't updated the price in several days.

House under contract:

Originally listed for 220k. After 2 weeks it dropped to 200k and I suggested an aggressive offer of 180k with 20k deposit since she was very confident in the home and we both knew it was a great price.

Sale price: 180k

Cosmetic repairs needed but not urgent: 30-40k

Closing in 2 weeks.

Earnest money of 20k.

There Is a 1 bed apt above garage that could be rented out for 550-650/month

Costs to hold both houses:

Taxes: $910/mo.

Insurance:$80/mo.

LOC interest: $843/mo.

Total: $1833/mo.

Her main reason for selling is to reduce her monthly costs. After selling her current house her monthly savings would be around $650. If she has held both houses for 3 months, it would take 6.7 months to recoup the costs and save her 32k over the never 5 years.

Her Financial Position:

Age 55

Plans to work for 15-20 more years.

Monthly income: $2300/mo.

Overtime: $1000/mo.

Savings: 30k

Retirement account: 50k

The issue is that the house she owns now that is currently on the MLS has a leak in either the roof or siding(not sure yet). Her biggest fear is the holding costs of having both houses and the possibility of future unexpected costs that could arrise (like the roof that just happened) and her running out of cash.

She wants to back out of the contract on the new house. Lose the 20k earnest money deposit. Take out 20k from her retirement, pay 2k in penalties for taking it out. Fix the roof problem. (Roof would cost less than 10k) List house again. After that goes under contract she would find another house to buy.

I'm looking for suggestions. I really don't want her to lose out on 20k and be back to the start again. I think its wiser to go ahead with the house and if she has to take out of the retirement if cash is running low.

I've thought of asking the sellers of the new house to push back closing to get a more time to solve the problem.

Please Help!

Loading replies...