Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Elleke Haggerty
Votes |
Can you buy in Denver without using a realtor?

Elleke Haggerty
Posted Mar 31 2019, 10:08

I am closing on my first rental property in a brand new apartment building in Denver. The closing is scheduled for June. I dealt directly with the seller's agent, and we agreed on a purchase price. I already sent the earnest money to the title company. The seller's agent asked who our broker or lawyer will be, but I haven't hired one (yet). The selling agent said it's not too late to bring in a broker to collect their half of the commission, (around $25k!), but that if I don't use a broker the seller won't discount the price of the apartment (bc they don't want any other buyers in the building to think I got a better price). I spoke with one broker who said he would represent me and give me back $10k. But that essentially means he is pocketing $15k for doing almost nothing. Has anyone ever been in this situation? Can I ask the seller to "pay me back" $25k at closing? Do I need to hire a lawyer to put this arrangement in writing? Does anyone have a suggestion on how best to handle this situation?

Loading replies...