Owner-occupied and the township

1 Reply

I have been purchasing houses in cash for the last fifteen years in the same town. I purchase the property, pull all permits in my name and as owner-occupied. You can't do any of the work unless you are going to reside there. Some houses I live in for one year, others three to four. When I apply for a C of O to sell the house, the inspector always asks me why am I moving. The town never specifically states how long I have to live there for. It seems like flipping is frowned upon in the town which I don't really understand while there are foreclosures falling apart and reducing the value of the next door neighbors home. I know for HUD, you must live there for twelve months. How should I go about getting this information since the town won't tell me.

@Oscar Martins , if you're buying cash, there's no minimum amount of time you have to live in or hold a property and the town can't mandate that you do. The government can't force you to live anywhere for any amount of time (unless you're in prison or the military, I guess). I have heard of towns with a "flipping tax" that is imposed if a property is held for less than 1 year, but that doesn't sound like your situation.

The inspector may be asking why you're moving to try and determine if there is some issue with the property. Otherwise, who cares why you're moving? As long as you're operating on the up-and-up, it's none of their business.