Seller's financing the best bet for me?

Seller's financing the best bet for me?

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes

Hey guys, 

I have a friend list his newly remodeled home in Charleston SC, and hasn't been able to sale it. It's been on the market for about two months and they've reduced the price twice. I'd like to be able to help, would seller's financing be the best bet? It's not at a good price point but want to explore all my options.

Thanks for your help!

Courtney Richards

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
7y

Seller carry? Do they own it outright? is the title clear? 

I would ask them about adding a refi and other clauses so you can balloon it or have other options when you find better terms.

I have a multi tier offer proposal template if you'd like to give them 3 options that all favor you. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Any interest in renting the house if no movement on selling it?  I'm a property manager, and happy to help.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charleston SC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @Courtney Richards

    Do the sellers own the property outright?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    7y

    Seller carry? Do they own it outright? is the title clear? 

    I would ask them about adding a refi and other clauses so you can balloon it or have other options when you find better terms.

    I have a multi tier offer proposal template if you'd like to give them 3 options that all favor you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Joel Good Not sure they're interested in renting the property out, I'll find out for sure! Thanks for your reply!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Brad Baker Great question, I don't believe so, I'm finding that information out now, Thanks so much!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    They're still paying on mortgage, so they do now own it outright unfortunately.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Nate Marshall Would love to see that multi offer proposal template. Would that still work if they're still paying on their loan?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charleston SC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 43 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Courtney Richards:

    They're still paying on mortgage, so they do now own it outright unfortunately.

    You could offer a lease option and rent the property from them for their mortgage payment with an agreed upon future purchase price. If the rent spread makes sense you can then put your own lease option tenant in there and rent it out for market value and have the buyer's option sale price to be higher than the one you negotiated with the current owners. You would collect the difference in cash flow and then if the buyer purchased down the road you would collect the difference in purchase prices. I'm doing this with a single family home in my area right now and it works out well for all parties.

    You say it's not at a good price point? What sort of price point are we talking about? If it's too high I don't think this option will work well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Brad Baker wow that’s such a cool strategy! The list price $389,990.00 - 4 bd 3 ba - 2293 sq/ft comps range from 425k-375k

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 380 posts · 157 votes
    7y

    Courtney, not trying to be smart but I have to ask... if they've been unable to sell it, why do you want to buy it?   Would you be offering a much lower price?   Unless it's in a fantastic location (historic district, deep water, etc) it might be hard to make a $389k/2293 sqft house cash flow.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    No don’t get involved . Sounds like a recipe for disaster looking at your numbers and the story 

  • Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Getting that to cashflow will require a very high understanding of the local market. Cashflowing isn't necessary if you get it free (100% financed) but you don't want to be cashflowing negative and you don't want to be fully leveraged. One way or another you need to get a bargain on a house that costs that much for that size. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @John Semanchuk great questions! Very sound advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M. thanks Dennis!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy Wickens thanks Jeremy!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 319 posts · 243 votes
    7y

    I think the best bet is for them to reduce the price. Getting a property of this value to work on a subject to lease option sounds outside of the bread and butter of that strategy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Weaver thanks Tyler!

  • Property Manager · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Nate Marshall I would love to see the template if I could!!!

  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    7y

    @Courtney Richards you need to talk to @Russ Scheider about helping you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Danny Randazzo thanks, will do!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 547 posts · 235 votes
    7y

    @Courtney Richards If you could share the address of the property privately, I can give you local knowledge/analysis of the market.  

    Thanks @Danny Randazzo for the mention!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Nate Marshall Hey Nate, I'd love to see that worksheet you mentioned earlier, will you send it over to my email?

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Courtney Richards  Good read on this thread I just came across.  What did you end up doing with this potential deal?

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Tom S. I let it go for awhile but it just reemerged in conversation today with the seller. They're open to some sort of seller financing lease options with an option to buy at a later date, I'm just unfamiliar with that territory and need to learn more about those options. Any ideas?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.