Is wholesaling my only option as a broke college student?

6 Replies

Hey BP,

I want to begin my real estate journey and throughout the last few months I’ve been educating myself as much as I can. Wholesaling seems to be the best place to start as it typically requires less capital than other strategies. I’m very interested in working with rental properties but I do not have enough saved up and getting a loan as a college student is unlikely.

Would wholesaling be my best bet for raising capital and then branching out into other strategies later down the road?

Not at all. I would recommend grabbing a copy of Investing With No or Low Money Down from the BP bookstore. This book will tell you all about creative financing for almost any type of deal you're looking for. I just finished it and it's given me all types of ideas for financing my next deal. Good luck on your real estate adventure. You're in the right place! 

@Desmond Fitch no problem. I wish I had started investing in college rather than a little later in life!

It's an option, but it's far from the only option. 

To be very clear- wholesaling is not an investment strategy. It's a job. It requires less capital because it's not investing.

Wholesaling will teach you a lot about real estate, but at the end of the day it's just a job. You can work any job to save the money while you learn about REI... if wholesaling isn't all that appealing.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/get-started-whi...

Maybe one of those help?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here