Insurance Costs Coming in Very High at Close

Insurance Costs Coming in Very High at Close

Coventry, RI · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 0 votes

I'm in closing with a duplex that will be owner occupied.  Was expecting the insurance premium to be much lower (mortgage broker was estimating $1.2k in paperwork).  Just received some quotes and the yearly premium is just over $3k.  Clearly this is higher than I expected and would really cut into my profits on renting this property.  Is there anything I should consider that could make this lower?

A few details:

  • In RI
  • 2- 2 bedroom units
  • Purchase price is $260k
  • Built in 1920
0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan IngramBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 225 votes
    7y

    Hey @Warren West, I’d highly recommend reaching out to a local independent insurance agent. They will be able to quote the property with several different companies and get the best coverage for the best price. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.