Do you Inspect all 4 family?

3 Replies

Hey everyone I am looking at getting my 1st 4 family. This is from what they say a turn key fully rented 4 family with several upgrades. Its 170,000 and worst case each door would rent for 400 and the adverage in the area is 525. My question is since its fully rented is it normal to look at each unit before purchasing or how does that work? This is not a mls proprety.

Thanks everyone for any input.

@Donald Muschany  

Absolutely. Get in there and check out every single unit. Make sure you have an Inspection period written into your contract as well as an inspection period. Also, review their leases and make sure that it's the real deal.

You don't want to find out after the fact that one of the tenants is a horder and has ruined an entire unit that's going to cost you an extra 15k to reno. Or that the owner just stuffed a bunch of people in there last minute at a dirt cheap rate just to sell the property. Verify everything.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor
Originally posted by @Heath Ryans :

@Donald Muschany 

Absolutely. Get in there and check out every single unit. Make sure you have an Inspection period written into your contract as well as an inspection period. Also, review their leases and make sure that it's the real deal.

You don't want to find out after the fact that one of the tenants is a horder and has ruined an entire unit that's going to cost you an extra 15k to reno. Or that the owner just stuffed a bunch of people in there last minute at a dirt cheap rate just to sell the property. Verify everything.

That's a really good point about last min renters. Thanks for the advice.