Is an RV storage lot a good investment?

Is an RV storage lot a good investment?

Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 53 votes

Has anyone bought a lot to turn into RV/boat storage? Or bought an existing storage business?

Are they profitable? What kind of rent is charged two store large items?

I’ve been thinking about it but I know nothing about it. Thoughts?

0Reply
123 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 46 votes
4y

An old post, but a good question. RV storage is the best form of real estate investing that I’ve encountered. First, RV storage facilities are great income producers and can be operated very passively, often without an onsite manager. The question is can a profitable facility be purchased at the right price.

As with every good investment, it has become more and more difficult to find good ones. More recently I decided to develop one, instead.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Clint ShelleyPro Member
    Surveyor · Dothan, AL · Member since 2014 · 425 posts · 391 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Townsend we nearly opened one 2 years ago based in the fact we store our 5th wheel in a covered back in metal building. Our lot rent is 150 a month without power. The facility is fenced with key code, but a turd broke in a few months ago and go into the campers including mine. To erect a 10slot metal building was going to be about 60k. So time you factored in land acq, paving, engineering, etc, we elected to go a different route. 3 or 4 more were built in 6 months so we felt market was a little saturated. I believe they are viable, especially if you offer pull out and back in service and a place to dump water after a trip.

    Clint

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Clint Shelley that’s interesting. In my area in Cincinnati, I see mainly not sheltered storage. There’s like 40 or 50 RVs on a fenced lot. That method seems pretty lucrative if someone’s paying even $30 or $50 a month. But I have no idea what that looks like financially.

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Townsend

    There was a bigger pockets podcast that talked about storage units and was very convincing. I think it may have been show #333.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 75 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Hillary Fox thanks for the tip. I’ll check that out!

  • Real Estate Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 46 votes
    4y

    An old post, but a good question. RV storage is the best form of real estate investing that I’ve encountered. First, RV storage facilities are great income producers and can be operated very passively, often without an onsite manager. The question is can a profitable facility be purchased at the right price.

    As with every good investment, it has become more and more difficult to find good ones. More recently I decided to develop one, instead.

  • Shea SpinelliPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2016 · 198 posts · 89 votes
    3y
     Quote from @JC K.:

    An old post, but a good question. RV storage is the best form of real estate investing that I’ve encountered. First, RV storage facilities are great income producers and can be operated very passively, often without an onsite manager. The question is can a profitable facility be purchased at the right price.

    As with every good investment, it has become more and more difficult to find good ones. More recently I decided to develop one, instead.

     How is the development coming? I'd be interested to hear of any resources you could direct us to.

    Thanks JC!

    Shea

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Clint Shelley:

    @Daniel Townsend we nearly opened one 2 years ago based in the fact we store our 5th wheel in a covered back in metal building. Our lot rent is 150 a month without power. The facility is fenced with key code, but a turd broke in a few months ago and go into the campers including mine. To erect a 10slot metal building was going to be about 60k. So time you factored in land acq, paving, engineering, etc, we elected to go a different route. 3 or 4 more were built in 6 months so we felt market was a little saturated. I believe they are viable, especially if you offer pull out and back in service and a place to dump water after a trip.

    Clint


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.