Moving to Boston, anyone have recent investment experience there?

Moving to Boston, anyone have recent investment experience there?

Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 12 votes

Hello BP!

I will be moving to Boston soon to attend college using my GI bill. I may very well end up renting for my first year but what I would really like to do is house hack. I'm seeing a lot of half-condos and the like for sale though. Has anyone recently been investing in this area?

1Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Union, ME · Member since 2016 · 148 posts · 27 votes
7y

Good morning if you would like to send me a text I will forward his information directly to you my phone number is Two0769one0six six0

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Hi Tyler, I’ve got my first triple decker running and closing my next property shortly. Are you going to school in the city? And what’s a half condo?

  • Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Zac Ballin like I'm seeing duplexes for sale but only one of the units is for sale.

    Im going to Northeastern University

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Congrats! And of course thank you for your service. It's highly competitive finding good deals but if you can spot one and act fast or network off market, you could use a VA loan for a 2-4 unit and be golden. It depends on what your preferences are and your price range, but if you can find a deal in the Fort Hill area of Roxbury (basically west of Warren) that could be a nice play. Feel free to reach out.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Zac Ballin I definitely will! I used my VA loan to buy my current home which I will rent out when I leave, and I would like to use my wife's VA loan to house hack up there. I have about 6 months left on contract so I'll be coming up around New Year's.

  • Realtor · Reading, MA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Hi Tyler - congrats on going to Northeastern. I'm sure you are aware from research but Boston is a HCOL market, so your search is going to depend on your personal investment requirements (as with any market of course). Are you looking at properties in the immediate Northeastern area or have you searched in any surrounding immediate areas?


    @Zac Ballin Where is your triplex located Zac? I have not yet purchased my first deal that I will house hack, but I am in the North Shore about 20 north of Boston.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Roesler Im searching surrounding areas, it's too pricey right near campus

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Roesler it’s in the franklin park north area of Dorchester. I’m scheduled to close on a duplex in a week and a half by Fields Corner in Dorchester as well.

    I'm no expert in VA loans but I think you may be able to get multiple VA loans.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Zac Ballin yes, you can have up to two houses per VA entitlement so the permanent roommate and I could theoretically do 4

  • Wholesaler · Union, ME · Member since 2016 · 148 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Dix

    I have not , but know a great broker to connect you with

  • Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Rob Milliken that would be awesome! Thanks very much!

  • Wholesaler · Union, ME · Member since 2016 · 148 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    Good morning if you would like to send me a text I will forward his information directly to you my phone number is Two0769one0six six0

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.