Joy-Schaefer/Aviation suburbs of Detroit - should I invest?

4 Replies

Hoping for some help... I am a newbie when it comes to long-distance real estate investing and was looking at a property in the Joy-Schaefer/Aviation suburbs of Detroit. I did look at the crime stats and the area is certainly not clean. I was wondering if those of you that are familiar with the area can advise... provide your thoughts on the area. Should I stay away? Is this a high-risk area? I would appreciate any information you would have.

thank you!!!

Larry

@Larry Zarou

Hi Larry, could be a tough area. Realtor.com "crime map" is a great resource and if you're seeing high crime stats. It's just typically going to be a tough property to handle and do well on. There is always opportunity but these are higher risk more difficult opportunities. 

The surround suburbs/cities of Detroit, Closely bordering the City have some great opportunity and tend to be easier to manage.

Originally posted by @Larry Zarou :

Hoping for some help... I am a newbie when it comes to long-distance real estate investing and was looking at a property in the Joy-Schaefer/Aviation suburbs of Detroit. I did look at the crime stats and the area is certainly not clean. I was wondering if those of you that are familiar with the area can advise... provide your thoughts on the area. Should I stay away? Is this a high-risk area? I would appreciate any information you would have.

thank you!!!

Larry

North of tireman, south of joy, west of evergreen and east of Schaefer, preferably stay In between Oakman blvd and evergreen. Much better than it once was a while ago. These blocks have done a complete 180 from what they were once were and crime rate is much lower because it borders Dearborn and Dearborn police are patrolling tireman all day so many of the trouble makers completely avoid the area.