Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Go Bag for viewing real estate properties

Troy Welch
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Posted Aug 15 2019, 12:01

Hey everyone!  I am working on my 2nd investment property.  Last Monday, my realtor and I drove around looking at potential properties.  I got to thinking that it would be good to have a 'go bag' to bring on these tours to be able to do a good analysis of the property.  I looked up some web pages and found some good tips.  I would really like to hear what you all bring and look for when you view a property.

Here are some of the things I was thinking about:

• List of things to look at
  • Instant read electrical tester
  • Volt meter
  • Screwdriver
  • Flashlight
  • Bug Spray
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Phone has camera & calculator apps (does anyone have a favorite analysis app?)
  • Business Cards

User Stats

Votes
Lore Postman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Aug 15 2019, 17:56

Good list. To it I'll add the following:

Bullet level (useful for checking slopes on walls, floors, etc.)

Digital tape measure (nice for checking room sizes, lot sizes, etc.)

A "regular" tape measure (for checking door sizes, window sizes, ceiling heights, etc.). 

Point-and-shoot camera (I take a couple hundred photos per property, which uses a lot of space on my phone and drains my battery quickly). 

A stick or something else to clear cobwebs 

Super bright flashlights (just reinforcing the need to make sure the flashlight casts a lot of light. I have one that shines wide, and another one that shines far). 

Thanks for making the list. I'm eager to hear what others suggest too. 

User Stats

Votes
Troy Welch
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 15 2019, 20:19

I like the level and stick for cobwebs ideas. I don't know why I wasn't thinking measuring tape. I have great flashlight made by Anker that I bought on Amazon - rechargeable battery, super bright, and small.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes