Mobile homes investing for rentals and/or flips?

5 Replies

Hello everyone, I am new to bigger pockets and diving in! :)  I live in an area where it can get really expensive to invest in houses since I don't have much capital saved up yet and wanted to know if starting in mobile homes investing can help me get started.  I have done some search on bigger pockets for mobile homes investing, but the info that I found is from a few years ago.  Wanted to know if things have changed much.  What are the pros and cons of investing in mobile homes?  thanks for the responses in advance!

Originally posted by @Alla Shtipelman :

Hello everyone, I am new to bigger pockets and diving in! :)  I live in an area where it can get really expensive to invest in houses since I don't have much capital saved up yet and wanted to know if starting in mobile homes investing can help me get started.  I have done some search on bigger pockets for mobile homes investing, but the info that I found is from a few years ago.  Wanted to know if things have changed much.  What are the pros and cons of investing in mobile homes?  thanks for the responses in advance!

Welcome Alla. As far as flipping Mobile homes, it is very hard b/c people needing the credit to purchase.  On the other hand, you can get great rate of return from renting them.  The cons are park fees, dealing w/ tenants that need to rent in a park and not being able to sell it easily.  Look in your state for the rules of selling it via Owner-Financing.  That way you might get the best of both worlds.

Good luck

Promotion
BAM Capital
Multifamily Syndicator
Targeted 10% Monthly Returns | Passive Income
Backed by institutional-grade apartments, strong sponsor track record, $700M AUM, over 5,000 units
Learn More

My model has been moving used mobile homes 3/2's to individual lots. The pros are they do cash flow very well if you can get good tenants. The cons are they tend to need more repairs and being in Florida they are not well insulated so the electric bills, which the tenant pays, can be very large. I have been only doing this for a few years so we will see how it goes. I'm hoping to get 3 more units online within the next 6 months. I'm also remote which adds to the complexity. I have a day job and have lined up good AC, Plumbing and handyman resources. Once the other units come online I will be switching to a property management company which unfortunately at 10% will take a good bite into profits. But I need to focus on my day job and strategize more real estate transactions. I'm going to stay away from mobile parks for now. Don't like the high monthly fees. Anyway could keep going. So far seems to me to be a good way to get started in real estate with low initial investment.