How Would a Recession Effect Real Estate Syndication Deals?
Hello All,
Thanks in advance for your reply. I have several hundred K to invest, have vetted syndicators for the last few months and I am at a point where I know I am coming into the real estate syndication market its just a question of when and how. I have two questions that I have been pondering that would appreciate some help with:
1. As I stated I have several hundred K to invest, and the ultimate goal is to cycle/ladder 5-7 syndication deals diversified across asset class and geography. Taking into consideration where we are in this real estate cycle my main question is whether or not I come into these 5 to 7 syndications all at once at this time (as deals arise) or whether not I come and gradually sort of wanna time to get a better idea of where the market is going to go. Obviously coming in gradually would not give me complete diversity across asset classes and geography but it would give me a little bit of a guard against an impending recession. It seems fairly universal speaking with the syndicators the markets are extremely tight and competitive right now and finding a good deal it is not so easy to do especially in the multi family world. Every scene preferred returns and I are projections start to decrease of the last six months or so.
2. Question 2 is more of a projection/ prediction. For those who have experienced recent recession's (2008 etc.) even though past recessions does not predict future lines I'm curious how the recession itself affects real estate syndication deals in a concrete practical sense. What makes deals in a recession better for a LP? Obviously I think the cost of the investment/asset would go down but I'm curious as to what components of a specific deal are effected directly. Meaning does it affect the cap-rate? Does it affect the preferred return? Hold time? Projected IRR? Since there's less competition, do syndicators have to make the rate of return more competitive for investors?
Mainly I am trying to get an idea of what the true value of waiting or coming in to RE syndication market more slowly on these deals, in that what would be the big back end benefit for me if I were to wait a year or come in slow versus coming in all at once now. I have spoken with several advisers who pool investors for syndicators and a few of them have said they are waiting on the sidelines for the last year or so since the market is way too tight right now to get a deal. Saving cash on sideline.
Thanks in advance,
Duke