Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Zach Smoot
Votes |
Multi-property Evaluation for my First BRRRR

Zach Smoot
Posted Aug 22 2019, 20:24

Ok, so I've been looking at getting into this for a while and might take the plunge on one, or really, two houses.  These are two small homes in the Southeast (on two different properties, but a package deal), about 800 square foot each. I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable all-in budget might be. A simplified look at the numbers is as follows:

Rents on each house are expected to be about $850.  I expect maintenance and property management to eat up about 20% of that, with no property management for now.  Taxes are about $3000 for the pair, and insurance will likely be about the same.  I'd like a $100 per door in cash flow, but would prefer about $200, which means I can borrow up to $90k at 3.75% 30-year mortgage(s). 

Monthly, it'd look like this: Mortgage*occupancy rate = Cash flow + Taxes + Insurance + Maintenance + Mortgage

$1700*0.9                 =      $400   +  $250 +     $250    +         $153       + $477

Once I start to need a property management group, this should still cash flow well, which is why I'm shooting for $200 without one.

So now that I backed into my number, a few more: I will likely need about $35k to get these up and running, so all-in at this point with 20% down and $35k would be $150k (rounding up). The two houses would be worth about $110-120k each once done. This would get me about a cash-on-cash 9% ROI (not including the additional $70k the homes would now be worth immediately after renovation).

So here's the deal, I haven't tried to haggle yet, but the owner wants $185k. That'd put me at $220k all-in and tie up a heck of a lot of capital up in the process. Any suggestions here?  There are some places I could bend here.  I could easily do some of the work myself. I've heard/read if I'm BRRRRing I should be able to beat out the "flippers" but I just don't see it here. I'm just so close to the 70% rule...am I missing something here? Based on the limited information I've given you, does it seem like I'm being too conservative? What would be any of your max offering be assuming the $35k reno cost applies?

In advance, thanks for helping an newbie in the midst of his first analysis paralysis episode.