• Omaha, NE
Votes |
Am I Out of Line? Negotiating After Inspection

Anthony Gayden
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Posted Sep 4 2019, 05:22

I have a house under contract here in Omaha. I agreed to buy the house as-is with no repairs to be done by the seller. I had a home inspection and discovered a couple of repairs that will cost me a few grand. I had based my purchase price on the fact that I knew I was going to have to do some repairs and I had budgeted to complete those things I had personally identified. These repairs go beyond my initial planning and budget and my offer would have been different had I known about them.

After the inspection I told my realtor that I wanted to negotiate based on this new information. He immediately starts telling me that I agreed to buy the house as-is with no repairs, therefore it would be a bad idea to go back and ask for anything. I remind him that I am not asking for repairs, only a credit and that I will do any repairs myself.

Am I in the wrong for wanting to negotiate after the inspection? Why would my realtor believe that this was somehow unethical? I am looking out for my own best interests here and if I can't get the numbers to work with these new costs, I will back out completely. 

Loading replies...