What to do with a $1 million house?

What to do with a $1 million house?

Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 91 votes

My grandparents are retired and own their home outright here in Hawaii. It's probably worth a little over $1.2 million , and they're considering selling it and moving to Las Vegas.

Their plan is to buy two SFHs in Vegas with cash from the proceeds of the Hawaii sale, live in one and rent out the other. When they pass, one of the homes would go to my mom and the other to my uncle.

A little more context:

  • They would prefer not to re-leverage the Hawaii house (or use leverage on the Vegas homes), though they haven't ruled it out.
  • House hacking (either with roommates or in a MFR) isn't an option for them.
  • They chose Vegas because it's the 9th Hawaiian island and they visit 2-3 times per year.

I'm wondering if there are any other creative strategies for us to consider. Don't know that there is, but I figured I'd put it out to BP nation.

0Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Sounds like a perfect plan given their age and their goals. I agree leveraging the Hawaii or Vegas house makes zero sense.  You want zero risks at this point of their lives.  Maybe buy 2 nice medium price homes cash sit on them. Put the rest away and enjoy the buffet at the Wynn.  

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 450 posts · 196 votes
    7y

    @Travis Henry I think they should sell, pay the taxes, and buy the one SFH cash for themselves. Then use the remaining amount to invest in passive syndication deals, since that would be much more passive than the management of even one other rental. If I were retiring and wanting completely passive income, I would rather have a diversified portfolio of syndication deals, compared to active-passive deals where I would need to manage the asset, IMHO.

    I agree with others to split everything 50-50 between their children.

  • Roni E.Pro Member
    Specialist · Earth 2.0 · Member since 2019 · 598 posts · 271 votes
    7y

    @Travis Henry

    Sell or do as a corporate rental.

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 412 posts · 366 votes
    7y

    Hi @Travis Henry! Remember when I came to town for that SDIRA conference? Of the two guys who ran it, one is a haole who grew up getting thrown off ships as a cast member at the Polynesian Cultural Center (he can explain it funnier than I can) and who is a CPA and Attorney and very smart. Looks like he is back in Hawaii for a Nov. 23rd event. I wholeheartedly endorse giving him a call to see if he can help your parents structure the right deal...from all angles. You can learn more about him at https://markjkohler.com/about/

    And for anyone else out there, Mark, and his Scottsdale partner Mat Sorenson https://kkoslawyers.com/lawyers/mathew-n-sorensen/ are always the smartest guys in the room. 

  • Andrew HoganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 560 posts · 463 votes
    7y

    1.2 Mil is a lot of equity to be sitting in one or two doors. If invested properly, the capital can be spread across thousands of income rental properties mitigating the risk while still producing solid cashflow...

  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Not sure your Grandparents employment or income status, but if they do not qualify for a traditional loan, even if they do, a HELOC on the Hawaii property will allow them to buy a property in Vegas with cash before the Hawaii property sells. Once it sells they can just pay off the HELOC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.