Buying under an LLC or Personal

Buying under an LLC or Personal

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I founded an LLC a few months ago because I wanted to turn my investing into a real business instead of a side hobby. My tenants now submit their monthly rent into my business account but lenders are not allowing me to use those funds to purchase more properties. The main issue seems to be because I don't have 2+ years of business tax returns. Does anyone have further insight on this and ways to get around this? Do you just buy properties using funds from a personal account?

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Madison Wi · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 5 votes
7y

https://youtu.be/9Ol2W8SE8b8

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 236 posts · 392 votes
    7y

    I have had a terrible time getting heloc / cash out refi on my LLC properties... and I have owned them free and clear for years! Looks like I am going to have to re-deed a home back to my name so that I can do a cash out refi and then move it back to my LLC after closing if the lender approves that.

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Tom S.

    Can I ask how you accomplished this? I wouldn't mind doing a deal like thos but what assurances did either one of you have? Was the mortgage in your name only but both names on title? Did you start an LLC with the other person with a written agreement?

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Malik Eleby:

    @Cameron Tope

    So I don't even have an LLC. what I do have is the time to look and find deals. I'm afraid because I'm unsure what questions to ask , because I don't have a ton of savings to put into a property but what I do have is a 726 credit score. So my question is how to I go about putting in offers when I have no money but fair credit.

    There's plenty of education on here for free on how you can buy with no money. 

    It's simple but not easy. You'll need to commit a lot of time and hard work but it can be done. 

    Best of luck! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Matthew Johnson  If you're looking for details on how to bring in a partner for the downpayment (DP) and me putting the loan in my name, it's true private lending.  It was a very good friend and he invested in me because of the relationship.  He knew I had a good job, good credit, but didn't have DP funds at the time because I had purchased my primary home about a year ago (i.e. The lack of funds wasn't because I blew through my paycheck every week).

    We added my name to his bank account where the funds were, and I applied for the loan in my own name once we located a good investment property. No LLC, just a written agreement. We split the income / expenses and then the profits 50/50 once sold about 4 years later.

    Advantage for me was an investment property without the DP.  Advantage for him was an investment property without a loan (I believe he was near the 10 loan limit at the time)

    Hope that helps.

  • Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 27 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matthew McNeil:
    Originally posted by @Mike Lattier:

    I'm interested in this topic as well. I hear pundits all over the place (including here) saying that you must "have" an LLC, including for STRs, but then the guys at BP say that no bank will lend to an LLC for first time investors AND transfering to an individually owned property to an LLC violates the due on sale clause. I would love someone to explain the apparent contradiction. And, by the way, I'm an atty. so I have some knowledge of the liability issues here.

    BP members are evenly split 50-50 regarding the "Due on Sale" clause issue and most of the feedback you're going to get is opinion.  He's my opinion regarding this issue, as I've written on other posts;

    The lender can exercise the "due on sale" clause if the name(s) of the buyer are not the same name(s) as the members identified as the owners of the LLC. For clarity; as with a trust, lenders do not exercise the "due on transfer/sale" clause when real property is transferred to the SAME individuals in an official capacity (e.g. Joe and Jane Smith as trustees of Smith Trust). Typically, the same applies to LLCs where you and your spouse are sole members (single or multiple member LLC).

    If you take out a mortgage personally and transfer the property to your LLC that you control, you should be exempt. Also, if your loan was conventional; Fannie Mae recognizes the legitimacy of a QC between the mortgage holders and the LLC so long as the LLC is controlled by the borrowers;

    If the property was owned prior to closing by a limited liability corporation (LLC) that is majority-owned or controlled by the borrower(s), the time it was held by the LLC may be counted towards meeting the borrower’s six-month ownership requirement. (In order to close the refinance transaction, ownership must be transferred out of the LLC and into the name of the individual borrower(s). See for additional details.)

    I believe Freddie Mac follows suit. Here’s a BP post on the same topic; https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/610831-oh-yeah-the-due-on-sale-clause-is-now-llc-friendly-sometimes

    Regardless, you should always talk to your lender and tell them exactly what you’re planning and get their approval.

    Next is to check with the Title Company regarding the Title insurance. Generally, the coverage of the policy will state; “The coverage of this policy shall continue in force as of Date of Policy in favor of an Insured after acquisition of the Title by an Insured or after conveyance by an Insured, but only so long as the Insured retains an estate or interest in the Land, or holds an obligation secured by a purchase money Mortgage given by a purchaser from the Insured, or only so long as the Insured shall have liability by reason of warranties in any transfer or conveyance of the Title.” Again, as with the question regarding the lender mentioned above, its best to ask your Title company if the insurance coverage remains intact if the asset is transferred.

    Unlike you, I am not an attorney, but this is what my attorney advised who specializes in real estate law."

    Very good explanation. There is one other wrinkle to consider in a vacation home situation - if the loan is obtained for a second home and not an investment, moving the home into an LLC prior to one year might violate the terms of the loan for consideration as a second home. That would not be an issue if the vacation home was purchased originally as an investment.

  • King Of Prussia, PA · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Tom S.

    Sounds like we can make something happen Tom

  • King Of Prussia, PA · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Cameron Tope

    Thank you sir!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.