Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Nicho Pruett
  • Investor
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Votes |
Seller wants to live in property for 6 months aftet settlement?

Nicho Pruett
  • Investor
  • Upper Marlboro, MD
Posted Sep 22 2019, 05:07

Background:

I have a childhood neighbor who is ready to sell their family home. I think he has some alcohol/drug problems and needs to sell right away (there’s been multiple family deaths due to old age/illnesses in the house that he says is beginning to haunt him & financially he’s barely holding on). But he hasn’t found anywhere to live. He’s trying to find housing in a senior living facility which, will take about 3-6 months - maybe.

My dilemma:

I am being fair with my purchase amount but don't want to put the guy out on the street. He asked if he could live in the house for 6 months until he finds a place to live. Additionally, I will not be ready to begin repairs (converting house from SFH to duplex) for about that long, so it keeps someone living in the property to prevent vandalism. Win:Win for both of us.

However, I don’t want to later have an issue trying to evict him if in 6 months he still has no where to live and probably will have spent all the proceeds he received from the sale.

Question:

Is there anyway I can write in the contract allowing him to stay for 6 month while having the title company hold in escrow a portion of the sale as a stipulation for him moving? If so what would be a fair amount to withhold? After all is done he will probably end up $20k - not a lot in Philadelphia,PA but at the same time it is a lot for someone with his issues.

If my idea isn’t the best please offer any suggestions. Trying to avoid eviction headaches.

Loading replies...