• Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Philadelphia Tax Lien Auction

Derrick Alexis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Sep 29 2019, 20:01

Hey BP community,

I’m contemplating purchasing my first buy & hold property and see it’s on the auction list. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Philly tax auctions? Are these properties being sold with the debt attached to it or is the sold amount at the auction what’s needed to clear the property?

For instance, if I purchase a property at the auction that has $5K in back taxes for $6.5K, am I assuming the debt as well?

User Stats

Votes
Reda Akbil
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 29 2019, 20:23

@Derrick Alexis if you buy it from the Auction it should free and clear. However the original owner has about 9 months to come back and claim it. Happened to me. I bought properties from Philly auction .

User Stats

Votes
Derrick Alexis
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 29 2019, 20:30

@Reda Akbil in that scenario, the city is suppose to issue a refund if receipts are shown right? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how was your success with purchasing at a great price, I’ve attended a few and the numbers get driven up ridiculously

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Reda Akbil
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 29 2019, 20:31

@Derrick Alexis right! My best deals were 2-3 years ago. I stopped going because like you said prices don’t make sense anymore.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan D.
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 30 2019, 08:39
Originally posted by @Reda Akbil:

@Derrick Alexis if you buy it from the Auction it should free and clear. However the original owner has about 9 months to come back and claim it. Happened to me. I bought properties from Philly auction .

@Irfan Raza and I were looking a couple of months ago to find someone who had their property redeemed via the right of redemption period. Can you talk more about what the experience was like? Did you receive your full investment back + 10%? Was the property occupied when you purchased it? Cash for keys situation pop up prior to the redemption? Any insights you can share would be great. 

User Stats

Votes
Troy Sheets
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Oct 3 2019, 06:31
Originally posted by @Derrick Alexis:

@Reda Akbil in that scenario, the city is suppose to issue a refund if receipts are shown right? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how was your success with purchasing at a great price, I’ve attended a few and the numbers get driven up ridiculously

My understanding is you can't get reimbursed for just anything, say you go and remodel the kitchen, you'd be out that money if the right of redemption was exercised. If you fixed an L&I violation like a crumbling wall, you could get reimbursed for that. Most title companies won't give you title insurance for a year, even though right of redemption is 9 months, and it's only on owner occupied properties, but title companies don't care. Even if it's vacant land they won't insure for a year, so plan to not be able to get financing on it for a full year because you can't get title insurance. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Turner
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 12 2020, 11:24

@Reda Akbil did you buy the properties that were owner occupied or non owner occupied?