I need help deciding if this is a good deal or not

3 Replies

Hi everyone!

I found this duplex in Charlotte (each unit costs between $230K and $245k) and I can buy them for 210k each. My idea is to do a house hacking where i live in one unit and rent the other. Each unit is 2bed 2bad and can be rented for $1500 each. My brother will live in one of the rooms so there will be 3 people in one of the units (my wife, brother, and myself).

Both units are very well renovated.

With an FHA loan and roughly 10% down payment, my monthly mortgage with property tax, HOA, and everything will be $2,200-$2500.

Is this better than renting? Is it too expensive for being my first property?

THANK YOU!

@Enzo Pazos so you are saying this will cost about $460k and only rent for $3000 a month. As an investment I wouldn’t touch it. Now as a way of reducing the cost of you own home ownership it might make sense. But I still wouldn’t touch it unless it is a super bargain in an expensive area.

@Ned Carey thank you for the quick response.

It would cost $420k (maybe less). And yes, it would rent for 3k a month. The idea is to move out after a year and rent the whole thing.

I believe emotions play a big role here. These units look amazing. But I can see the numbers not making much sense.

Thank you again

Hello Enzo, 

I seem to be in a simlar position as you, I want to find a duplex to move into for a year and then move out and rent both. I am looking to learn more about the numbers and figuring out how, where, and at what a good deal is. 

On a side note, I have some mutual friends that swam with you at Queens; Marko and Ben....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here